Now a third generation family operation, Clarence J. Alden opened Painesville Country Club’s first nine holes for play in June of 1928. The back nine and clubhouse were added in the early thirties. In the tradition of older courses, the layout at Painesville was discovered as much as designed under the direction of Mr. Lamoran, the professional at Kirtland Country Club.
Though likely a private club for a short period of time, the club has spent most of it years available for public use. The large dining room features hand-carved woodwork from one of Cleveland’s Millionaire’s Row mansions.